Monday, March 05, 2007

The Secret

Quentin and I watched the video last night, I must admit I was a little lazy about watching a self help video, for some reason I think I know it already. I remembered my post from a few weeks back however, and how excited I was after seeing the book featured on Oprah, so figured I could at least watch the movie.

I was surprised I really was, the DVD really presented it's theories with good practical examples that I could immediately relate to, it's very well done. The thesis of, "The Secret", what you think becomes your reality. If you worry or think of things that have gone wrong or are bad in your life you will attract those things more. If you focus your thoughts on things you want, your goals your dreams, you'll turn those thoughts into your reality.

In my own life I think this is so incredible true and obvious I'm surprised I didn't consciously, “just get it” before. I have this real negative side to my brain that good old Dad gave me the program for. It's called worry about the worst case scenario and play it over and over in your head until you do nothing and you’re miserable. To be fair to my Dad however his philosophy comes in very handy when something does in fact go wrong as he's usually pretty prepared, and everyone in the family a has tendency to rely on him to deal with the big problems. Still I can see how you need to able to turn off your worse case scenario program and remember to focus on the things that create some good in your life.

In, "The Secret" they give a really cute example with pets. Then they show a cat running around with a paper bag on its head and everyone is laughing because it’s so cute. They then explain that the love and happiness that you feel when you have a pet brings out feelings of love, and when you feel love you'll attract it. It's true too, I have no idea why but when Quentin and I are sitting on the couch and our cat Muffin comes up and does whatever she can to gain our attention it puts us both in a good mood and we're nicer to each other. I've always thought that pets are very important to a family but now I can just put my figure on it a little better.

The DVD has about a 10,000 quotes of people throughout history with wise things to say and I can barely remember any of them. However when I was reading the quotes I remembered thinking to myself you know it's true successful people do have the tendency to think of the best case scenario more so than the worst, you have too, it propels you forward! After the video once Quentin and I were just saying those couple of last things before falling asleep I said, "you know which one of our friends I kept think about throughout the video... Chris Puleo." Quentin “that's funny I thought of him too.” Chris is our friend who has a lot charisma and charm, and he's great to have around because he's constantly thinking of fun and exciting things to do. Chris has many times surprised me with the things he's accomplished, and the biggest reason he succeeds is because he wants it so bad, it's all he can think about. Sometimes things don't work out the way he might have expected but he's exceptionally quick at recharging and finding a new focus to propel him forward again. So thank you Chris for being an inspirational example!

I always thought new goals were important, I mean yah yah I'll write it down later, but after I watched the show I thought to myself do I even know what I really want. I sometimes dream about things, like it would be so nice one day.... then I forget about it. I strongly believe now that you have to seek what makes you passionate, find your goals and believe in them firmly.

They talked about bad things happening in your life, a guy receiving a parking ticket was an example. The explanation is that you’re responsible, your negative energy and thoughts actually bring about the negative action. I've always gravitated towards this type of philosophy because really except for fluke things most bad things happen because of poor choices or mostly negligence, and I like the idea that I can be in control, I have the power to make it better.

Emotions and moods were given special meaning in your life too, they act as your guide. They break down emotions into very simple terms, good or bad, which is quite the truth. Everything you do ultimately, it's either yes that made me feel good or no I didn't like that, and I really appreciate that simplicity. If facing depression it's usually an indicator that your actions are not following what you truly want, it means you need to change. Depression seems like such a negative thing, but really it's your brains way of shutting everything down so you can take some time to maybe uninstall some bad programs you're running and maybe try something totally new.

According to the Secret philosophy the way to avoid depression is to be alert and sensitive to your true needs and wants before you body goes into shut down/depression mode. I recently read the Alchemist the other night and it had a very similar theme. Follow your heart, if you don't you'll spend your days feeling mediocre and never happy in your own skin. I watched Hero's the other night however and a statement Quentin and I both said yes that's true , "A man who lives his life in the present will be happy, but a man who thinks about the future and past will have a meaningful life and you can't have both. " I'm trying to think of how to tie this into, "The Secret" in a positive way but it's not coming to me. Ummm maybe what's the difference between meaning and happiness is that possible?

Well I like brain puzzles to ponder, I suppose I found another, but I'm feeling inspired after all this and I want to try this whole positive thinking with a focus on what my heart really wants. So wish me luck, and I hope I inspired you all to spend a little bit of time thinking about what is that you really love to do!

p.s Thanks Jarred for the copy of , “The Secret” that was really nice of you.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Today when I was driving I heard the New Gwen Stafani song. I forget what's it called. Something about Being sweet. If i could be sweet. la la la la la. i know i've been a real bad girl. la la la.

Yeah, anyhow, i wanted to be on the ice skating and jumping around to that song. I just love it.

Sorry, what was the question?

t