Sunday, March 27, 2005

Happy Easter

I thought I should say something about Easter. I feel really disturbed this year that all over the media are pictures of people hanging or nailing them selves to crosses. Some lady in Florida is apparently starving herself to death on the cross. I couldn't read the article it bothered me so much.
If you died up there on the Cross I think God would slap you upside the head and say what the heck did you do that for we have that covered. I guess you could make a plead that it's reminding people of the original sacrifice. However, my point is that it's a waste of energy to nail yourself to the cross, after your done your hands will have to heal and I think God would prefer you to make some dinners and hand them out down town to all the homeless people. Won't that be more productive!!! Remember when the disciple said to Jesus how shall we love you when your gone, and he said feed my sheep, not nail yourself to a cross.
It's sad because their are a lot of good devote mentally stable Christians around the world who live a quite respect and service to God. These cross nailers make the rest of Church seem crazy even though you see the disclaimer at the bottom of the pictures, "the church doesn't condone this action".
These people who are nailing themselves to the crosses are just trying to win the who's holier contest. They figure that if they do this they will get all this attention, and they do, and that forever and ever they will be considered the holiest and best Christians in the world.
Last night we went and saw a Chinese acrobat Ballet, and in one of the first acts they rolled the Zen sign around and then did handstands on top of it. So as I'm watching these little Chinese people do incredible combination balancing acts I just thought what do they believe over there in China and what's the whole point to the Zen sign. I know it has something to do with a bit of evil in good and a bit of good in evil, when I asked my Mom about this as a child I was told they were wrong, why was never explained.
To this day I really don't understand that whole Zen concept I've never taken the time to really read about it, but I do remember being at Trinity and we took Eastern world religions and I did notice a huge difference between the Eastern and Western concept of living and religion. The east seemed to have an aptitude to the inner strength and making personal sacrifices for the community as a whole. The oriental culture is big into personal sacrifices to preserve honor.
I haven't really thought about this in a long time but I wanted to note that I think spirituality should be more of an internal private relationship that we develop with God instead of a public affair to see who gets the most attention.
Happy Easter.

No comments: