Tuesday, October 25, 2005

I didn't know you could garden so fast.

Mrs. Mitchell came over and ripped through my garden like the Tazmanian Devil. She dug up shrubs that were overcrowding my front and we had them replanted in the back in about 10 minutes. I would have thought for sure that the plants would die if handled them this way but apparently they won't. I told her that I thought when you dug up a plant you had to be very careful not to destroy the root and to carry lots of soil with it which makes it heavy and harder to do. But nope this isn't the case and you can take practically all the soil off a root so it's really light and easy to carry.
I'm sort of starting to understand the difference between shrubs and perennials which I want my garden to be mostly of. I'm going for the low maintenance garden and I think Quentin and I should invest in some sort of automated watering system since I hate standing there with a hose in the summer. I've decided as well that heavy gardening in the fall when it's cool out is so much more enjoyable and Mrs. Mitchell noted that in the summer it's the time to relax and enjoy your work.
See it's starting to come together.



No comments: