Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Night Time

Tonight I'm sitting at my island in the kitchen (I'll have to post a picture of it one day) cause my brother went to the gym and my Mom is watching a Martin Short movie while we wait for him to get back. I'm attempting to make a chicken rice soup, which I wanted to be really different and interesting tasting, but my creative cooking skills chickened out and tonight and I decided to default to the safety Mommy recipe which is boil the hell out of the remains of the roast chicken that you bought from Save On Foods, then throw in what ever vegetables are still left in your fridge that haven't gone bad. You can add some rice too. I've sort of grown up on this recipe and I don't think I could ever really write it down, way to complicated.
Besides my soup I've had an interesting day, at one point I had a big discussion about depression and expectations and it's occupied my thoughts since. It was brought up how their are just so many expectations today and how your own pressure on yourself can really ruin you if you let it. I think for everyone it can be hard, their is this timeline that society has, like be married by a certain age, have children, own a place, have so much money, look as good as you can, and do it by a certain age and be happy otherwise that's lame. Even on this blog I think I'm wary to do a depressing post because we'll who wants to read that. In my mind a successful person is upbeat, cheery and always nice with no complaints. When you think about it though who can be like that all the time, it's depressing just thinking about being so happy. I think if you allow yourself to be depressed and feel like it's okay to fail then you're really accepting who you are and that's quite nice and comfortable. This might seem like a funny example but when I was a kid I loved hanging out at friends houses who were kind of messy cause it was relaxing and I felt like I could be myself. My house now a days is usually very clutter free and clean but hey what can I say I like hanging out at a house that's not totally clean.
Okay I might edit this thought more later, but I have to jump up and go see what my Mom is up too, she's insisting that I put lemon in my chicken soup to make it more tart.

p.s. Here is a picture of my Mom dancing in my kitchen as I write this post, to the music on the tv movie. This is were I got my great dancing aptitude.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

what movie, what movie?
oh, is it 'father of the bride'?

p.s. i love your posting L.

some of the move successful people of generations and century's passed were depressed personalities.

they also say people that have sparatic schedules (ie. people that do not do 9-5) tend to get depressed faster than a monday to friday person because nothing is ever certain of what they are doing one week to the next and that can be scarey. yet, if that is the path that is chosen of them, it's just in the cards for that person. we all choose our destiny, right?
to a point?
t

Lisa's Diet said...

Yes I do have to work harder to make a schedual in my life. I never thought that would be important but it does get you down when nothing is happening.

Anonymous said...

yep
t