Sunday, November 27, 2005

Home after Church

This morning Chris phoned at quarter after 10, "wanna go to church". I was a bit grumpy at first cause it meant I had to get myself in gear if I wanted to look presentable enough to show up by 11, but I was able to get out the door in time and funny enough my Mom and brother were going too. So it was a big happy family, except Quentin decided to have some quiet alone time at home since I'm usually always there.

So today Pastor Ross had a pretty big sermon with lots of points and to be honest I followed him to a certain point and then started to analyze that idea and missed everything else he said. Of all the pastors I've ever heard he's one of my favorite, I've been listening to him for years and I always walk out the door inspire and still thinking about what he has to say. He has such a great way of refreshing old sermons.

Today the statement that stuck with me the most was, "I'm a piece of work". He quoted a Jimmy Buffet/Keith Urban song.

I'm a piece of work, I'm iron and lace

I'm shy, I'm right up in your face

I'm all dumbfounded, stubborn as an ass

Sharp as an arrow in a pile of glass.

I'm a sweetheart, genius, reckless jerk.

Lord, have mercy, I'm a piece of work.

Well the Lord made me on a long thin limb

Made sure I'd remember him or her

In the middle of a long dark night

Creation crazy, death-sheet white

Made in the image of a lion shocked lamb

I am who the hell I am

Even better, bad to worse,

Down to the letter, I'm a piece of work.

I'm a piece of work I'm an angels fiend

Bathed in lavender and gasoline

Scared brave, shallow in an ink black well

Lightly browned in the fires of hell

Wicked, holy, full on fake

Best known for my big mistake

I'm zen wise, peaceful, gone berserk

Good God almighty, What a piece of work.

I'm a dreadful sight, I just don't care

Spent all morning pull out my hair

Woke at dawn with a crazy spin

I was half the day trying to glue back in

Mother, bloody mary, please

Wipe that smile right off your knees

I'm the CEO of the mailroom clerks

Lord have mercy, I'm a piece of work.

I'm a piece of work, I'm a love sick boy

Cloth cap, caviar, and corduroy

All over the map, just a lost in space

With a filthy mind and a choirboy's face

Heels up, head down, straight on through

Watch out woman, I'm a get to you

I'm a gladiator with a mind to irk

I'm a see you later, I'm a piece of work.

Pastor Ross only quoted the first little bit but I wanted to read the rest of the song so I posted the whole thing.

So were all a piece of work in our own way, or maybe it's just a fresh way to say,"we're all inherently fallen". So I understand that point, but then the topic switches to how God some how uses that we're a piece of work as a vehicle for us to reflect his creativity. Honestly I don't totally get it, so because were flawed it makes us creative? But isn't God perfect and the ultimate source of creativity. You know how great artists and musicians credit God for their inspiration, "it was just a gift, it was shown to me". Maybe because were flawed it opens us up to his creativity because we need salvation. Like I said I don't totally understand but the notes for the sermon will be posted in a few days so I'll have to check back. I hope this isn't one of those things were I read back in a few days an go on no how did I understand it that way, I was way off.

We'll see. Peace Portal.

No comments: