Wednesday, January 26, 2005

Paper Article, about Teen Idols

So today's article in the paper that caught my eye was the one about idol worship and how it sets a dangerous trend. The opening line was, "Parents should know that a girls' level of celebrity worship is an indicator of how materialistic she is, what kinds of activities she's involved in and how experienced she is with boys, according to a study in the latest issue of the Journal of Adolescent research. " They said they found a correlation between a girls participation in male pop idol worship and her personality and interests.
Now right away my mind goes back to when myself and all my friends did this, it was grade 5 or 6, I can't remember. I remember being totally in love with oh what's his name the young guy from the New Kids on the Block. (Someone remind me) K I don't even remember his name although at some point I looked at his picture and promised that I was going to marry him one day. Why I would say I wanted to marry someone I would never even meet, well that seems silly.
With the positive correlation between level of idol worship and experience with boys, that seems ridiculous. The whole reason myself and my girlfriends were so fascinated with these idols is that we were too young and immature to speak with real boys. In fact I would think my obsessing was never as intense as my girlfriends who had no brothers in the family. I think when you have dirty stinky brothers it sort of takes away from the whole idol thing. Something just clicks and you know it can't all be true.
I do think that the level of celebrity worship can be an indicator of how materialistic a girl is going to be.
So moral of the story, if I have a little girl and she's becomes fascinated by whatever newest media guy is available, I will promptly invite some nice friendly neighborhood family over for a barbecue with some cute boys, in some subdue fashion, so that she can see how real boys behave. And I won't let her spend all her allowance on pictures of some guy.

No comments: